Friday, April 26, 2013

Cerveza Cucapa, for your gabacho consideration

           




A couple weeks back I was enjoying the company of some of my most favorite riff-raff, hoodlums and shady romantics...good people. Like most good nights in good company end, we decided to leave the crowded nightlife scene to the safe nest that lies behind familiar closed doors...but not before we get our grubby mitts on beers and snacks. Stumbling into the convenience store, I make my way to fridge door that house my usual beer of choice, a barely yellow beer made by companies who opt for the easy way to mass produce a large amount of beer instead of taking their sweeeeeet loving time on smaller batches. when, one of my co-hoodlums points out to me a beer bottle with an alien on it, says that that shits tasty, who am I to say no some tasty shit...with a fucking alien on it, no less. That bottle was Chupacabra by Cucapa a company out of Mexicali, Baja California. Fast forward to today, when  I get a jonesing that rivals that of a pregnant woman in her third trimester, a craving for that sweet Chupacabra pale ale. Soooo, I went on a town wide search, a small town mind you...point being I went a bit out of my way to find these beers. 
    Cucapa gets its name from the native Baja tribe of pioneering desert dwellers of Mexicali region. Borrowing from their namesake, they are the pioneering Mexico into the world of microbreweries, being the first in the country and winning several hoity toity awards for their special brews, real high brow stuff...
They a variety of different beers but I could only get my hands on two, might be due to the fact that I live in a town with more farm life than people or because of the seasonal varieties...I tend to blame the latter.
Obscura
An American Brown Ale, a deep dark amber/coffee color. With a thin head, or maybe I can't pour worth a damn. This is a smoother almost creamy beer that taste like nuts and brown sugar with coffee notes at the end. A heavier type of brew...over all pretty tasty with a dry aftertaste. 

   
   







                                                Chupacabra

An American pale ale, it has a medium body that goes down with a citrus aftertaste  and with a hops taste that is very long lasting with some nutty and caramel tones all in between there. 














Out of the two, I would have to say my preference is with the Obscura, the smoother taste and rich, creamy texture beats the hops and citrus taste of the Chupacabra pale ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment